Dental implant placement is a surgical procedure, so you should expect some consequences as you heal. Although we will give you detailed post-operative instructions for your procedure, here are some basics of what to expect.
Normal Healing after Surgery
There are many components to the body’s healing response after surgery. Here are some of the things that you may experience that are perfectly normal:
- Bleeding–You will likely have a small amount of blood in your saliva for at least the first 24 hours after surgery. You can reduce it by gently biting down on a gauze pad over the implant site.
- Pain–After you get home you may notice discomfort start as your anaesthetic wears off. You can begin taking over-the-counter pain medication at any time, according to the label or more specific instructions we give you.
- Swelling–This is normal, and will likely increase for up to 48 hours after surgery. Application of an ice pack can help minimize swelling.
If you have excessive bleeding or if it persists, please contact us. If you have excessive pain that doesn’t respond to over-the-counter medication, please contact us. If you have swelling that is excessive or doesn’t go down after the first three days, please contact us.
What You Should Do
In order to facilitate recovery from your dental implant surgery, you should follow all post-operative instructions carefully. Here are some things to be aware of:
- Medications–If you are prescribed medications, you must take them according to the instructions you have been given, especially antibiotics.
- Diet–Initially you should eat a diet of soft foods, but you can progress to other foods as you feel comfortable.
- Hygiene–Brush and floss normally in the rest of your mouth, but stay away from the implant site. Make sure you rinse your mouth, and especially the implant site with salt water and/or an antibacterial risk you have been prescribed.
Again, you should contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
If you would like to learn more about the dental implant process in Sydney, please call (02) 9686 7375 for an appointment with an implant dentist at My Hills Dentist.